Did you know that 80% of Americans over the age of 30 have consistent low back pain? That’s most of the population. This statistic can make us all feel a little defeated and hopeless, but some recent studies (and our own experience) have shown that cryotherapy and low-level light therapy can actually aid in low back pain recovery, giving hope to chronic pain sufferers everywhere.
Whether you or your clients have experienced a back injury or are tight and sore from sitting all day long, you know how debilitating back pain can be.
Why back pain is so serious
- It can lead to poor posture, which can have multiple negative effects on the body, including soreness, poor circulation, stress, and digestive issues (get the full list here).
- It can limit the ability to perform. Many athletes are unable to complete simple tasks after injuring their backs, and they certainly can no longer perform to the same standard they once could.
- It can lead to more serious issues down the road. If the spine is not properly aligned, the rest of the body will slowly begin to compensate, which could lead to more issues and much more pain.
- Back surgery can be risky. It’s simple: any type of surgery can often be risky and expensive, and it can take a long time to fully recover from back surgery (if a full recovery is even possible).
- It’s often treated with opioids. If left with no other options, many chronic pain sufferers turn to opioids. Though a doctor will often recommend this, it can be extremely dangerous, expensive, and even damaging to the body if taken incorrectly.
How cryotherapy can help
Recent studies have shown that cryotherapy can significantly decrease pain and improve lumbar spine mobility. We offer three exclusive cryotherapy chambers and have seen incredible results from both: CryoNiq, Cryosense, and now the new CryoArctic.
We typically recommend customers at the chronic phase begin using cryotherapy daily in the beginning, then as pain improves, move to every other day or twice a week.
More on cryotherapy and low back pain:
How low-level light therapy can help
In a recent study, 50 participants were asked to use the handheld LLT device 3 times per week for 12 weeks. Five years later, 49 out of 50 have still avoided back surgery.
See how this could help you:
Why we care about low back pain recovery
Ultimately, if we can decrease pain and increase mobility without opioids or risky surgeries, we’re not just managing conditions, we’re improving and strengthening our bodies, leading to prolonged health and physical abilities.
If you would like to offer modalities like cryotherapy and NovoTHOR in your own facility to help clients who are suffering from back pain, contact us here. We look forward to partnering with you.