According to DMA and Demand Metric, email marketing has a median ROI of 122%, which is more than 4 times higher than other marketing efforts such as direct mail and social media. That should be more than enough to convince you that your company should be focusing on email marketing. However, if you don’t know where to start, read on for the top email marketing tips for health and fitness companies.
How to use email marketing for your recovery business
- Stay in front of potential customers. Send out a newsletter or email broadcast at least once a month to all of your potential customers (this would be anyone whose email address you have, but who hasn’t converted to a customer yet). Send them information that they would find valuable – something that would entice them to learn more and that will position your company as a thought leader and a place for valuable advice. Throw in some information about your facility as well to keep reminding them. When they need the services you offer, they’ll remember your name, your helpfulness, and your thought leadership.
- Send out exclusive offers. Encourage more email signups and engagement from your contacts by offering discounts for those that read your emails. Maybe it’s a coupon for one month free, or a discount code to be used on any one item or service. It could even be an exclusive event or class. Creating exclusivity will create more of a community within your customer base and will encourage people to join.
- Become a helpful source of knowledge for your customers. Send out an email about once a month to your customers with something that can help them take your services to the next level. Consider sending out a tip to help them keep their health and fitness strong at home or a quick workout that you recommend for them. If you have a blog (and you should!), tease out a helpful blog post in the email along with a link to read the entire post. Show your customers that you care about their total health and wellness, and that you’re here to help and encourage them along the way.
Where to start with your email marketing
- Choose an email marketing tool. There are plenty of tools available to help you send, track, and analyze your emails. These tools will make email marketing much easier on you and your business. Choose the best one for you based on price and capabilities.
- Create a list. The first step in email marketing for your business is creating a list. Make sure you’re asking for email addresses as soon as someone becomes a customer as well as any time someone requests more information about your business.
- Segment your list. As you gain email addresses, segment them into various lists to get even smarter with your email marketing. For example, you may want one list for customers, and one for potential customers. Or you may segment based on the services or packages you offer. This will help you be very specific with the messages you send. You don’t want to send a message encouraging people to upgrade their services to your customers who are buying your highest level already. The more segmented and specific you can get, the more personal you can be.
- Create a strategy. Decide if you want to send emails weekly, monthly, etc. We recommend starting at once a month, and changing based on the feedback, open rates, and click-through rates you see. Think through the best timing for your emails, considering the typical work hours, family time, and times where they’ll be the least distracted and most likely to open your email.
- Analyze and make changes. There are plenty of tools available to help you send and track your emails, but most of them will give you an analytics option. Use this feature to see what types of emails are being opened and clicked through, what days and times the most emails are being opened, and what types of messages work the best. Spend some time regularly looking at the success of your emails and make changes as needed in order to continue to improve.
We’re here to partner with you and guide you along in your success as a health or fitness company! If you have any questions about your business or how we can help you, don’t hesitate to contact us here.