As you get further into the CrossFit games and train harder to perform better, it’s vital that you recover properly. The quicker you recover, the more you can get out of your training and the more progress you can make. These recovery tips for CrossFit athletes can help.
Recovery tips for CrossFit athletes:
- Focus on sleep. If you’re not getting enough sleep, no amount of training will ever be enough to get you to perform at your highest capacity. If you’re on the Paleo diet, apply that same thinking to your sleep. After all, if you eat like a caveman, shouldn’t you sleep like one, too? That means going to bed when it’s dark out, keeping it dark and cool to optimize your sleep, and shooting for 8-9 hours.
- Get carbs and protein. After a workout, especially intense training, your body is trying to return to homeostasis, and the best way to do with is with post-workout nutrition, including good carbs and protein. Check out some tips for refueling here.
- Stay hydrated. Replacing lost fluids after a workout and hydrating before a workout are both vital to your performance and stamina. Shoot for half your body weight in ounces of water each day.
- Use a foam roller Foam rollers can be your best friend but feel like your worst enemy. Foam rollers can help loosen up your muscles and help you relax and recover. Push through the stiffness you may feel at first and work out knots to maintain good tissue quality and get your body ready for the next workout. Use a foam roller like the Hyperice Vyper regularly.
- Use compression therapy. When you work out, your body produces metabolic byproducts, most commonly lactate, which can result in soreness if not removed. Compression therapy helps essentially squeeze blood out of your muscles and back to your lungs and heart, replacing it with fresh, oxygenated blood. Normatec Compression Recovery System can help speed up your body’s recovery process.
- Try cryotherapy. Your muscles and tissues become highly inflamed after a workout, but cryotherapy reduces inflammation and metabolic waste, which can help you feel better and recover faster. The CryoNiq and Cryosense can give you exactly what you need to recover and get back to your workouts faster.
- Consider photobiomodulation therapy. It may have a long name, but PBMT can help reduce your risk of injury and help you recover faster. See how our PBMT modality, the NovoTHOR has helped CrossFit athletes recover in the past here.
We’re here to cheer you on as you compete in the CrossFit Games this year, and the best way we can do that is by offering you recovery modalities. Check out a list of all of our products here.